Get your Kickstarter Logistics in place so you’ll be ready to ship your orders!
Kickstarter Logistics is the logistics solution to your supply chain, shipping and order fulfillment needs. Kickstarter has changed the way entrepreneurs start businesses. They no longer need to follow the traditional way of finding venture capital funds, or digging into their own piggybanks. To date, Kickstarter has crowdfunded more than $311 million to over 30,000 projects.
Receiving funding is just one small step in starting up your business- there’s a lot of backend work that needs to be put in place. That’s why Kickstarter has recently added new restrictions to their population of aspiring entrepreneurs. They’ve added a new section called “Risks and Challenges” to their project page in order to address potential problems entrepreneurs might have. For example, where will you source your raw materials? Are they hard to find? Asking these important questions prevents entrepreneurs from making promises that they can’t keep, so they don’t let their backers and supporters down.
Are you ready to handle success?
What will you do if you were hoping to get at least 100 orders in your first month, and now all of a sudden your Kickstarter backers have ordered 1,000? Surely, your plan to pack boxes and ship out of your garage will no longer be sufficient. This is a very important issue that many startups are encountering- the logistics of their actual distribution.
Find a good logistics partner.
It’s definitely a good problem to have if you have a lot more orders than you anticipated- but not a good problem if you don’t have a solution. It doesn’t make financial nor logistical sense for entrepreneurs and small to medium sized companies to have their own supply chain operation. It costs money and management to own warehouse space, trucking lines, and to handle import/export and customs issues. That’s why most companies partner with a mix of a freight forwarder, customs broker and third party logistics provider. Or, if you were to work with us, we’re a one-stop shop and do everything above- we’re an enterprise level supply chain solution.
Don’t let your operations hurt your sales.
The worst thing that can happen is telling 900 of your customers that their order has been delayed, because you are out of stock. What kind of message does that give to your customers? They pre-ordered your item on Kickstarter months in advance, anticipating your product and supporting your success. Now is the time to deliver to them with success. You need to make sure that your supply chain is in order so your products can be successfully manufactured, imported, warehoused, and shipped.
Here’s what you need to be thinking of:
- Sourcing – Where will you get your raw materials from? Your manufacturer might already have some sources, or have some suggestions.
- Manufacturing – You need to work with someone that you can trust. If you google this topic, you’ll encounter a billion articles that don’t tell you much. In the end, it’s all about who you know in the industry. This is a shameless plug- give us a call and talk to us. We’ve helped hundred of companies get connected with trusted manufacturers in China and other various countries. We work with companies from all sorts of industries so we can always refer you to someone that will lead you in the right direction.
- Importing – If you are making your product in China or some other country outside of the U.S., you are going to have to bring in your product somehow. Entrepreneurs make the mistake of handling this process by themselves. If you don’t want your products to get stuck in customs, or arrive in shambles on your doorstep, then talk to us. We’ll do a better job, AND save you money- our rates are lower than you can find on your own.
- Warehousing – No, your garage won’t be enough, unless you don’t want to ever grow. Start off right and partner with a company that will give you the room to grow, and give you the firepower to do so. We’ll find a safe place to store your products after we import them, and then ship them whenever you get an order. Easy.
- Distribution/Shipping– Want to avoid papercuts and making your whole family stay up late packing boxes for you? We have accounts with all the parcel delivery services like FedEx, UPS and USPS. It’s super convenient because everything is already setup. We’ll box your order- even get you a custom box and packing material if you need- and then slap on the shipping labels and get it sent out. Overnight, two-day shipping… you know the drill. We’ll give you your shipping prices and then you can put them on your website.
- Retail Sales: Once you start making it big and large retail stores want to stock your product, you’ll get into a whole new realm of sticky compliance regulations. For example, Best Buy has so many retail rules that it’s become a nice revenue stream for them – they charge you fines because you put a label on the wrong side of the box. Again, we’ve had tons of experience in this realm- we’ll not only save you time, but money, if we help you in this process. It’s win-win. We’ve worked with all the major retailers such as Toys”R”Us, Best Buy, Costco, Target, etc.
- E-Commerce- Do you have a website yet, and a shopping cart? Heck yes, we do that too. Didn’t we say we were a one-stop shop? Everything can be hooked up to our system, so your orders can come straight to us, and your customers’ payments will go straight to you. We’ll make sure they get their new toy- they’ve been waiting for it!
Don’t let your Kickstarter backers down. And don’t let your own business get crushed by an unexpected manufacturing error, shipping error, or too many sales that you can’t ship. So here’s our shameless plug. Hit us up. We’ll help you out. WorldTrans Services, Inc. specializes in helping startups, small and medium-sized businesses grow. Contact us!